photo rabbit_collage3_zpspnhy2qz3.jpg
K-ywy - Eating is believing
Monday, June 20, 2016 • 11:43 PM • 0 Sweet hearts

They say, a short staycation is good for everybody. Since we can't have a staycation last Friday, we decided to have a short getaway to Melaka, the ever busy Jonker street.

That's to celebrate JT's birthday too. We took a day leave, together with mom, we started at 9:51am at JB checkpoint. Reached Melaka in 2 hours.

It's been ages since we've been there, so I've done quite some research, and asked my sister what's the must eat over there.

The last time we headed there, we didn't get to try Nancy's Kitchen. It's one of the restaurant serving Peranakan cuisine. You can see many similar restaurants there, just know which one to go to. It is said that Kocik Restaurant serves the same kind of cuisine but is Halal. Anyway, we still decided to stick to what we missed.





Peranakan Braised Pork
This is recommended by some of the writers. They had positive review on this dish, so I said to order one.
It turns out very disappointing.
I believe they had this similar to Kuay Zap.
Their meat isn't tender, sauce not up to expectation. I would say that our KZ is tastier than this.


Four Angle Bean Fried Belachan
Not so spicy, but taste ok!

Sambal squid with bitter bean
Really like this one. Their sotong is really tender, and my favourite petai!
I could have continue with a second bowl if they give me another serving.

Chicken Candlenut
How to not have extra mouthful of rice when you have buah like this?
Their sauce is oily, but resisting to this temptation is illegal!


Nyonya Chang
I never like zhang like this, because of their sweetness. Still prefer bazhang.
Can't comment on this since this is out of my food list.

Got this Tiramisu cake from the bakery beside.


They've shifted but it isnt very far away from where they used to be. We had a 3 minutes drive before coming to this new location.

Rating: 3.5*

Address:
13, 13-1, 13-2, Jalan KL 3/8,
Taman Kota Laksamana,
Seksyen 3, 75200
Melaka, Malaysia. 


Mission accomplished for lunching at Nancy's Kitchen.

Jonker's Walk opens at night, so we headed to their shopping mall. Can't remember if this is the Dataran Pahlawan, but it is connected to one of the hotels. We went to two shopping malls that were side by side.

Mom wants me to take pic with these bears because I was "WAHHH" with their sizes.
Gerum-ness overload! Yes I meant the bears.



That's the wishing bridge.

Know who he's imitating?




Artistic bamboo background, beside the bridge.
Their decoration is so attractive!
Have to take shots with mom!

The wishing bridge!

The other must eat that we got online was Capitol Satay Celup. I heard that either you queue for the famous one or go to the normal ones. Initially skeptical about it because I read online that the queue was really long. But sister said that we can beat the crowd if we reach before 5pm.

Rushed there and I guessed we got there before 5! We were second in Q. Lucky enough, the weather has been kind for that day, otherwise eating in coffeeshop at this hour will melt you down.

Basically, it's the same like steamboat buffet. The only thing that sets it different is that they use satay sauce to replace the soup base. And these are charged per stick. The normal ones go by RM1.10 / stick. If you're interested in having their premium sticks, it would cost a few bucks extra.


There they are, busy taking their skewers and me, busy taking pictures.


I'm always a skeptical person when it comes to such gravy. How many of you are like me? You know how much effort it takes for them to prepare such thick base. And, look at the flow of customers.

Are these recycled?

I believe I wouldn't be the only one pondering about this.

Ok, so how do you go about eating these Satay Celup?

Simply throw all your skewers in and let it cook. Be prepared to lose a few of your items because it is hard to scope it out of the thick base once it goes down.

Check it out!



These are chicken, it looks really like the usual satay when it was raw.

All skewers in!



Uncle JT had lots of skewers.


Rating: 3*

I would say that I'm unlikely to come again for next visit. Basically it has the same concept as Laksa steamboat. They just use a different soup base. Or maybe I should say it is like having all your food in satay sauce.

Nothing so special to me. But it is definitely a good try for those who hasn't been there.

Address:
41, Lorong Bukit Cina
75100 Melaka, Malaysia


Left the satay house and proceeded to Jonker walk for shopping time!


That's what I call, business man brain. You can survive if you know how to make business out of the most norm thing in life.

Can you guess what they do with these watermelons?

We were asked to try these watermelons to see if they are sweet enough (with the cylinder-shaped cut out on the top). If you're ok with it, they will have their mixer in and then you get your fresh watermelon juice!

In general, they're simply giving you what that watermelon has to offer. They only need to blend it into juice (with nothing added). But you can ask them for ice if you prefer a cold one.

Want a sample how big these melons are?

There you go. Carrying a supposingly 3kg melon along the street of Jonker.
No joke.
Btw, you can get the smaller version down the street.
We just didnt have the patient to walk down before deciding to get this.

Price: RM10


A melon-full of juice in the stomach, aching arms and close to 20 skewers of satay celup got 3 of us into the massage palour!

We felt cheated.

We were told that a 30 minutes massage cost RM38, and 1 hour is RM60. So I went for the 1/2 hour while mom and JT went for the 1 hour package.

JT overheard the China lady boss telling the masseuse that the use of essential oil would cost RM10 if customer wants it. Thus before I went in, he reminded me about it.

When mom came out after her massage, the China boss told us that there is additional RM15 charged because of the essential oil used on her. Nobody heard that the masseuse told my mom about it. Which means she used it without consulting if mom needs it.


I've been ranting about getting these durian puffs ever since I stepped into Jonker walk.
Every few steps you take, you'll see shops selling these. Even the roadside stalls have it.
JT bought it from one of the stalls.
Turns out very watery. I assume that the shops' durian puff would be of better quality.


Couldn't find any decent chicken rice shop to have our dinner because it was getting really late. Famous ones are closed by then. So we made do with street food.

Oysters that doesn't look very fresh, but since it's gonna be cooked, we ordered 4 pieces to try.


They have garlic and cheese flavours. Not too sure if there are any other types but these are the two that we ordered.


Price: RM16 for 4



Ordered other main dishes but only leads to disappointment...

Their mee goreng is hard and tasteless.
Stingray? horrible.
JT and I walked around the stalls looking for one with freshest seafood. We came to one that has very stale looking stingrays, so we skipped that.

Got to the other stall and the uncle insisted he had stingray despite JT repeatedly asking where are their seafood? (We couldn't see it on display).

He then told us to follow him to his "storage" at the back where he had all his seafood kept.

We reached in less than 10 seconds upon his arrival.

Then he handed a plate of cooked bbq stingray to us. -_- We don't remember ordering it from him. But still, we paid and went back to our seat. Grumbling........

Conclusion. We didnt clear the stingray, it was horrible.

Despite the un-scrumptious dinner, I still had high hopes to get some tasty street snacks.
That's the quail egg with mayo and chilli sauce! :)

Before heading to the car park, we stopped by the Malay aunty's store and got a packet of ondeh ondeh. They were having queue when we were there earlier in the evening.
Tasted her ondeh ondeh and I would say it's quite good! Other than the solid piece of brown sugar that they put in.
I still prefer soft ondeh without having to chew and crush the sugar in mouth.


That sums up the trip to Melaka. Enjoyable one with loves and a good weather. Short get away is always GOOD!

Labels: , , , ,


0 Comments posted :

Post a Comment


Click please!






Visit Cathryn's Nail Art Blog


Chatting Here


Post history






Newer Posts | Older Posts